RAISE THE BAR PROGRAMS
Raise the Bar offers a wide range of programs and resources intended to assist schools in the development and sustainability of their intramual programs. All of these programs are cost free and can be scheduled to accommodate the demands of the school board or the individual school. PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION BELOW.
On Site School Board or Individual School Meetings
Over the past 2 years+, Raise the Bar has held meetings and conducted presentations over 230 times at schools and school boards across Ontario. These meetings mainly involve health and physical education teachers. Several meeting have also included principals, superintendents, parents and students.
The objective of these meetings is to discuss strategies with regards to developing better intramural programs. The meetings range in length from 30 - 60 minutes. We also share resources and discuss the other programs that Raise the Bar has to offer. These meetings take on many different formats. Some of these include:
- PLF 4C Leadership classes
- individually scheduled school meeting
- health and physical education subject council meetings
- sports association/athletic meetings; both elementary and secondary schools
- professional development day workshop sessions
- coaches meetings
- principal meetings
- senior administration meetings
- student leadership workshops
- parent council meetings
- family of schools meetings
Raise the Bar Student Leadership Conference
Raise the Bar will be offering two province-wide conferences in the fall of 2009. The elementary school conference will be Wednesday October 21, 2009 followed by the secondary school conference on Thursday November 5, 2009. Both conferences will be held at the Italian Canadian Club in Guelph, Ontario. Our previous conferences in 2007 and 2008 were a tremendous success. We are planning to build on this success in 2009.
The objective of these conferences is twofold;
1. To educate and develop students in the role of intramural leaders
2. To provide teachers will a professional development opportunity
The conferences are available to schools from across the province. Please check the 'conference' link for more detailed information and registration forms.
Students and teachers playing handball during one of the morning intramural activity sessions. Seven local school gymnasiums were used to provide a physical activity component to the day. Over 400 delegates from across the province attended the first annual Raise the Bar conference in November 2007.
Raise the Bar School Board Workshops
A new initiative for 2008 - 2009 is the Raise the Bar teacher workshop sessions. School boards will have the opportunity to sign up for a 1/2 day intramural workshop funded and directed by Raise the Bar.
Funds are available to pay for teacher release time and school boards will be provided with the funds to accommodate anywhere between 20 - 50 teachers per session depending on the size of the board. These workshops can also be co-ordinated with other professional development opportunities that the school board may have.
These workshops will involve:
- discussion on the benefits of intramural programs
- discussing strategies to improve intramural programs
- opportunities for teachers to dialogue and network with teachers from different schools
- opportunities for teachers to share 'best practices' with each other
- discussing strategies to enhance student leadership opportunities as it pertains to the intramural program
- opportunities to discuss the 'needs' that teachers have with regards to equipment and other resources
- a physical activity component where new games are discussed and played by all participants
Students can also attend these workshop sessions.
A workshop information letter is now available.
Raise the Bar Student Leadership Recognition Program
In an effort to help schools support and recognize their student intramural leaders, Raise the Bar has just recently launched a student recognition program.
Schools can receive a maximum of 8 leadership t-shirts for their students as well as t-shirts for any staff that are likewise involved in the organization, implementation and supervision of their intramual program.
To receive these shirts, schools must provide a brief description of their intramural program along with shirt sizes. All shirts are ADULT sizes and schools will receive the shirts within 2 - 3 weeks.
Email Steve Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in any of these programs, please contact Steve Friesen - Director Raise the Bar at email@example.com